52 Ancestors: Week 10: Joseph P McAninch
|click within the image to enlarge|
At age 24, he married Elizabeth Jane Quiett (19) on 21 May 1845 in Paris, Illinois. All in all, they had 12 children: 9 boys and 3 girls.
In 1850, Joseph (29) was a tanner in Center, Indiana, with 3 children.
In 1861, the Civil War started.
In June 1863, Joseph registered for the war, at age 42.
On 20 Dec 1864, a call was made, (18 months after Joseph registered) for eleven regiments for one year's service, and recruits were forwarded to Indianapolis.
At age 43, Joseph left his wife and 9 children to serve in the Union Army: Company B of the 148th Indiana Infantry. He entered as a Private and was promoted to Corporal.
The 148th was mustered in on Feb. 25 and left the state 3 days later for Nashville. They were constantly employed on guard and garrison duty in central Tennessee until they mustered out on Sept. 5, 1865. The original strength was 975 + 52 recruits = 1,027. Loss by death = 36 (34 by disease); desertion = 75.
- On April 9, 1865, Lee surrendered his Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House.
- On April 14, 1865, President Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth, a Southern sympathizer. Lincoln died early the next morning, and Andrew Johnson became president.
- On May 9, 1865, President Johnson officially declared a virtual end to the insurrection.
- On June 23, 1865, Cherokee leader Stand Watie was the last Confederate General to surrender his forces.
- On Sept. 5, 1865, the 148th Indiana Infantry finally got to go home.
Shortly after the war, Joseph, Elizabeth and family moved to Ringgold County in Iowa to farm and that’s where their twin boys Sheridan and Sherman were born. (children #11 and #12)
|Elizabeth Jane Quiett and Joseph P McAninch|
|Side by Side|
Joseph died on 9 Mar 1907 at age 85.
Elizabeth died 6 years later on 15 May 1913 at age 87.
- US Federal Census: 1850, 1870, 1880, 1900
- Illinois Marriages to 1850
- US Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
- US Civil War Draft Registration Records, 1863-1865
- US Civil War Pension Index
- Iowa, Cemetery Records,1662-1999
- Iowa, Find a Grave Index